A Samaritan was paying for Hotel Rooms for 70 Homeless People who were camped out in Tents in the freezing cold in Downtown Chicago.
The offer came after the Chicago Fire Department confiscated nearly 100 Propane Tanks given the group to keep them warm as Temperatures sank to negative 22 Degrees!!! The department was forced to act after one of the Tanks exploded.
(Around 70 people had been sleeping in Tents near a wooded area adjacent to the Dan Ryan Expressway before a propane tank exploded on Wednesday.)
“When we got there, the fire was extinguished and they found all these propane cylinders. That’s when we escalated it to a level 1 hazmat,” said Fire Chief Walter Schroeder.
“There was a significant amount of propane there,” he added. “And with that many cylinders, that’s like a bomb going off.”
City Officials notified Salvation Army spokeswoman Jacqueline Rachev who began preparations to move people from the Camp to their Warming Center. About an hour later, the City called again and said someone had offered to put the Residents in a Hotel for the rest of the week.
“Isn’t that wonderful?” said Jacqueline. “At least they’re warm and they’re safe.”
Jacqueline was not sure of the identity of the Kind Samaritan and only knew the Hotel was on the City’s South Side.
(Photos by Chicago Tribune and AP.)
(Source from sunny skyz on 31 January, 2019.)